One night, New breath (taonga puoro, viola, drums and electronics)
When composing, sometimes it is the sound that is being used that is as interesting as an melodic or harmonic movement. There is so much that can be said through the manipulation of sound. This piece gives performers musical information in the form of ideas or ‘breath”. Each breath can be changed, expanded and re-arranged by the performers to allow each musician to truly bring the music to life.
‘One Night, New Breath’ is a structured improvisation in 5 parts. This piece draws influence from the genre worlds of soundscape, jazz, 20th century chamber music and hip hop. Premiere performance.
ALL SOUNDSCAPE WORKS
- Musica in Cerebro – exploring the connection between music and the brain in collaboration with the Otago Brain Health Research Centre
- Music/Smell experiments – collaboration with the Otago Uni Sensory Science Research Centre
- #tinyelephants – sonic art installation
- Another World Asleep – a cosmic lullaby based on the frequencies of space.
- Feathered Resonance – a soundscape to accompany ceramic art piece “Concert of Birds” by Madeleine Child
- He korokoro tui – a contemporary dance soundscape for Waikato Contemporary Dance Projects Trust, featuring Alistair Fraser (taonga puoro)
- Navigating Ice – for piano and electronics
- Nearly Done – a graphic score
- Communal Breath – a meditation soundscape for 2015 Caroline Plummer Community Dance Fellow Uzo Nwankpa
- Infinite Lines – for layered recordings
- Manic Disappearances – for the ‘Kaitiaki’ dance performance
- One Night, New Breath – for taonga puoro, viola, drums, synth, turntables and electronics (premiere performance by Richard Nunns, Adam Maha, Jeremy Hantler and Jeremy Mayall at Waikato Kingitanga celebrations 2012)
- Paaroretanga – for watering cans, effects, turntables and video (premiere performance by Richard Nunns and Jeremy Mayall at OKTA 2007)
- A new communication – for 3 iPhones, light table, Taonga Puoro, effects (premiere performance by Richard Nunns, Horomona Horo, Daniel Peters and Jeremy Mayall at OKTA Contemporary Music Concert 2011)
- Nebula Puoro – for Theremin, effects, Taonga Puoro (premiere performance by Richard Nunns and Jeremy Mayall at OKTA Contemporary Music Concert 2011)
- Tabula Chroma – for light table, turntables, synth, theremin, effects, Taonga Puoro (premiere performance by Richard Nunns, Daniel Peters and Jeremy Mayall at OKTA Contemporary Music Concert 2010)
- Ebb – for taonga puoro and electronics (performed by Richard Nunns and Jeremy Mayall at Artz Electro 2012)
- The soundscape of New Utilitablaszione – for bass and turntables (performed by Jeremy Mayall and Thomas Botting – 2nd place 2004 Waikato Lilburn Composition Competition – multimedia section)